Gillespie Paint

From: John A. Hern Jr (hern@nidlink.com)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 23:58:36 PDT

Hey, I squirted the OD on my running gear this morning, and it went even
easier than the primer I did yesterday. Boy, does it all look swell
sitting around the shop waiting to be bolted together. I have to fix
just one more thing on the frame, three of the nuts welded into the
frame that hold the axle bumpers have broken off bolts in them. I'm
thinking of putting riv-nuts in their place, after all, it doesn't take
much to hold that rubber bumper in place...

Perhaps the reason the paint went on better than the primer was that
whoever borrowed my paint gun last, didn't clean out the vent hole in
the can, and things kept getting weaker and weaker till I was just
spraying air. I did a little thinking about it, cleaned the vent, and
boy did the paint go on then. I've been sandblasting all the parts
before primer, but of course didn't want to do that to a perfectly good
running engine and transmission, so I pressure washed the thing a couple
of times, soaped it three or four times, the last time with some lye
soap, heh heh heh, then sprayed it down with about a pint of xylene.
That's *gotta* get it clean... Anyhow, it sure looks nice in OD rather
than rust and peeled paint of various shades.

The more I use this Gillespie Paint, the better I like it. I haven't
done all that much painting in my life, but I've used a pressure gun for
at least 30 years off and on; and this has to be about the easiest stuff
to use outside of some latex house paint I once did... :-)

I'll try to get some pix of the project up on the web.

John

--

John A. Hern Jr. 1900 Millview Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814 mailto:hern@nidlink.com Dipl.Ing. Mechanical Engineer Foundry: http://www.hernironworks.com Greyhounds: http://www.greyhoundpetsinc.org Personal: http://www.happygreyhound.com