Re: [MV] Deuce brake vent modification question

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 06:16:19 PDT

>One item eluded me: Item #4, NSN 4820-00-726-4719, referred to as a
>"breather". It's the piece that goes on the end of the new vent tube
>that is installed in the modification.
>
>Please pardon my ignorance, but what, exactly, is a breather? Is it a
>check valve, or a filter to keep out dust, or something else?

My deuce came with that tube just bent over just above the air cleaner yet
it had a nut and ferrule on it. They must have had something on there at
some point, or planned to have somthing on there, right???

 I tried a normal compression fitting but the thread is different. So for
the heck of it I tried a 1/4" male pipe thread and that what it is. So I
had some pneumatic mufflers (breather, filter, whatever you want to call it)
left over from a job (1/4" male pipe thread with the plastic body being
about 3/4 dia and maybe 1-1/2"L, with side slits and a SS screen on the
inside) and all I had to do was drill the end just enough for the tube to
clear and it screwed right on to the existing tube and nut.

>If I knew the function of the original part, I'm sure I could easily
>find a suitable replacement. I'd hazard a guess that it's simply a
>filter to keep out dust...

 All that would ever happen there is exhausting of air from the brake
booster so I see little need for anything other than just to keep critters
or crud from getting up into the tube.

>... probably similar to the little sintered
>bronze filter I'm ordering anyway....

I suppose that would work as well, just don't get one that would restrict
the flow to much.

later,

je