Re: [MV] M37 gear oil after replacing broken stud

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 15:47:53 PDT

John,
It doesn't sound right. I can't imagine a fill plug that would resist an 18" breaker bar. Be sure you're not trying to remove the other bolt looking thing..it's welded, and it is for locating/adjusting the gearset in the housing. The actual fill plug is just a hollow pipe plug. You should not lose more than a few spoons full of oil when you remove the axle shaft. If you want, you can tilt the whole truck the other way and let it drain a while, then you won't lose any. I would not be putting too much heat on that differential housing if I were you.
Jack