Re: [MV] Hat Channel question

From: Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 18:31:27 PDT

A little closer,
I use a Zipcut, spot weld cutter, to cut around the spot weld then I grind off the remaining spot
weld. The zip cutter has a spring loaded center pin that retracts when you apply pressure to the
drill shank. There's a pic at:
http://www.angelfire.com/my/odrules/zipcut.jpg
I got my zip cutter at a local store that specializes in auto paints and body working materials.
The best way that I found to use the tool was to first sand or wire wheel off the rust and/or paint
so that you can see the dimple of the spot weld. Then center punch the center of the spot weld as
deep as you can, the deeper the better. Place the center pin of the cutter in the punch hole and
SLOWLY apply the power to the drill. Press down lightly on the drill to engage the cutter with the
metal. Go slow at first until you seat the drill evenly on the metal and establish a groove with
the cutter. Once you have established a groove you can stop and add a drop of cutting oil then when
you start again you can add a little speed but I found slow works better. Usually I stop when I
break through the first layer of sheet metal I'll see a little puff of dust. If I wasn't quite
square I'll reposition the drill and remove the remaining material.
To weld on the new hat channel I drill holes then weld through the holes with a mig.
GL,
Buzz