Re: [MV] 1009 MP Vehicle

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 10:36:04 PDT

Hi Stu...

>Were Blazers used for military police vehicles? If so, how were they
>marked? Any kind of special lights or siren??

I think I can answer this one (HEY, I'm finally giving back to the
list!)

The M1009s were used extensively as MP vehicles. They were marked
with "Military Police", used a Federal Signal Streethawk lightbar on
the top (available on eBay, see photos below), and probably had a
siren but I'm not sure of the pattern of the siren sound.

Below is an excerpt from TB 43-0209, "COLOR, MARKING, AND CAMOUFLAGE
PAINTING OF MILITARY VEHICLES, CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS
HANDLING EQUIPMENT". I can get you and anyone else on this list a PDF
of this or you can get a hard copy on eBay...I see them there all the
time.

Page 30:

16. MILITARY POLICE MARKINGS--TACTICAL USE VEHICLES.

a. The HMMWV, M998 series and CUCV, M1008
when used as Military Police Tactical Vehicles, should be
treated as such for identification. The words Military
Police will be 3inch block letters and used in reference to
the markings of the HMMWV, M998 series and the
CUCV, M1008 Vehicles.

(1) CUCV: The tops of the "Military Police" will
be located 9-1/2 inches from the top crease of the left
and right passenger doors and centered horizontally on
the doors, Figure 30. The tops of the words "Military
Police" will be 3-1/8 inches below the cargo door handle
in the rear and centered horizontally, Figure 30. The
words "Military Police" will be located immediately above
the leading edge of the hood and centered horizontally,
Figure 30.

(2) HMMWV: The bottom of the words "Military
Police" will be located 10-1/2 inches above the rear
wheel well and centered using 2-inch block letters,
Figure 30. The bottom of the words "Military Police" will
be located 1-1/2 inches above the bottom edge of the
cargo shell door and evenly spaced on either side of the
door latch using 3-inch block letters, Figure
30. The words "Military Police" will be centered on the
front hood using 2-inch block letters, Figure 30.

b. Truck, Utility, 1/4-Ton 4 X 4, M151 Series: a
white disk, 16 inches in diameter with the words "Military
Police" in 3 inch black letters located around the
circumference of the disk, 1/2 inch from the disk edge,
will be attached to the center of the spare wheel on the
rear of the vehicle. The sign will be locally fabricated
from 16-gage sheet metal or thicker. The disk will be
attached by means of a bracket made from strap-iron, 1
inch wide and 1/8 inch thick.

(1) M151 series truck will have a detachable
white sign, 5 inches high and 36 inches long, with the
words "Military Police" in 3-inch-high black letters,
mounted on the windshield panel below the glass. The
sign will be fabricated from 16-gage sheet metal or
thicker and will be attached to the windshield with sheet
metal screws.

(2) Motorcycle, solo, will be marked with a
white band, 3 inches high, with the words "Military Police"
in 2-inch-high black letters, across the front of the
windshield directly above the horizontal support. When
not obstructed by lights or sirens, the band may be
placed below the support.

Figure 30. Military Police Markings.

(See www.cucv.net/tb-43-0209_figure_30.gif for figure)

LIGHTBAR

All the MP M1009s I have seen have had Streethawk lightbars on them.
So I got one for my Military Suburban on eBay. I replaced the blue
lenses with red, and to remain friends with the local LEOs I had a
nice canvas cover made. See the pictures here:

  www.cucv.net/lightbar_01.jpg
  www.cucv.net/lightbar_02.jpg

Here are pictures of a real M1009 of which I found a picture:

  www.cucv.net/suburban/cucv_bills1.jpg
  www.cucv.net/suburban/cucv_bills2.jpg

You will notice the lightbar, and the antenna arrangement is also
interesting, but I don't know if the antenna arrangement is specific
to an MP vehicle or not.

Here is a LONG link to all the auctions on eBay for Streethawk
lightbars and parts (get the whole link!):

http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&pb=&ebaytag1=ebayreg&ht=1&st=2&query=streethawk+-epilog+-game+-tangerine+-episodes&srchdesc=y

It is against eBay rules to sell a police or fire lightbar on eBay, so
if you do buy one you'll have to buy it without domes or with white
domes. You can buy the domes on eBay but you'll have to buy them
separately. Wow, that rule works well to prevent civilians from
owning complete police or fire lightbars, eh?

By the way, you will want to consult your local police department to
find out if they will hassle you about your M1009 if you mark it
"MILITARY POLICE". You will also probably have to cover the lightbar.
My neighbors hassled me by calling the police the VERY DAY I bolted my
lightbar on IN MY DRIVEWAY. Mr. Police Officer comes up to my front
door and asks me what the deal is with the military police vehicle in
my driveway. I got friendly with him and shot the breeze for a while,
and as we were out looking at the truck he said "Man, this f*%#ing
thing looks like it just came out of an armory!". Made me feel good,
considering it isn't originally a military vehicle.

I hope this helps!

--
Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 Military CUCV Suburban 6.2L Turbo Diesel, 3/4-Ton 4WD

o M65A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck, 2 1/2-Ton 6WD Turbo Diesel, Air Shift Front Axle

See them at: www.cucv.net