RE: [MV] welding/repair technique question

From: Mark Forwalter (mark4@jps.net)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 21:09:27 PDT

I manufacture fuel tanks and have been involved in a number of repairs.
Usually, I find a reason to be on the other side of the planet when someone
says they are going to weld on a fuel tank. Anyone attempting to weld on a
tank "full of water" should realize that there is a 5-15% expansion space,
or vapor space in the top of every fuel tank. Even when fuel runs out the
fuel fillneck, the vapor space is still present. I would be very concerned
about welding anywhere near that vapor space when the tank is filled with
water. Some (not me) have claimed success with intensive steam cleaning,
then welding. But then again, you probably don't hear from those who are
unsuccessful. Just my 2 bits,

Mark Forwalter
mark4@jps.net