Re: [MV] WC 12 Reality check

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 04:45:33 PDT

In a message dated 6/20/01 9:52:25 PM Central Standard Time, colin@pacdat.net
writes:

<< don't buy the first wreck that
 you see UNLESS a knowledgeable collector tells you that it is a gem in the
 rough and rare and a good price >>

Beware of the "rare"....I have restored a LeRoi 210G1 compressor truck...I
think that the one I have and a fellow's in New York State are the only
survivors out of the 500 odd built. Parts are a MAJOR issue...fellow in New
York has been advertising for over a year needing pistons and sleeves. My
530C pumper required parts from 5 other trucks (some adapted from 530Bs) and
having some custom made, not a truly rare vehicle like the LeRoi, but how
many have you seen????
The rare aspect is interesting, but the difficulty/frustration locating parts
and the expense of having to have parts custom made can certainly put a
damper on a project, so I'd avoid RARE on a first vehicle unless its
definitely all there and in good shape.

My .02,
David Doyle