[MV] WC 12 Reality check

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 02:07:00 PST

>What advice would other folks on the list have to offer?
>
>Pete Davis
>pandr@cybertours.com

I see the comments so far are from people with long time experience so I
figure I'll add my CDN peso worth.I own 34+ LandRovers,3 M37's,1 M43.The
majority are wrecks or unfinished projects I bought from people who gave up
or had financial troubles and dumped them.Over the years one learns a code
of ethics unwritten about restorations and most of it is life learning
lessons and morals.

1-buy one vehicle and finish it.Never mind if a good deal comes around or
not half way inbetween.That's how the disease starts.First it's one then
another and soon storage is at a friends house and then a rental garage just
to keep a large stock of metal that costs a second mortgage in the end.The
whole idea of doing the first vehicle from start to finish is the pride
knowing what you have accomplished.Then you can decide to go to the next
vehicle.It is easier to buy than build.

2-don't let your project interfere with family.I know of 4 divorces and 2
almost wrecked marriages over 'the project'.Family is always first otherwise
soon you won't have one.'The project' can make for quality time if the
family gets involved and everyone is into it but this is rarer for more
people than reality.

3-never go partners in a project.You have your own idea of how to approach
things and do them.The majority of projects I have seen with partners
involved resulted in terminated friend ships,moving and in a few cases legal
action.

4-Do the best job you know how.Cheaping out on parts and taking short cuts
just leads to more expenses later,loss of vehicle value and frustrations.

5-Know when to ask for advice and seek help on some jobs.Some guys have egos
so big that they would rather destroy what has been done rather than admit
they have limitations.

6-BUY THE FACTORY(or factory reproduction) MANUAL!!!!!!!!(AND READ IT!!!)Not
a knock off that is condensed because it was cheaper.That's a bad start
right there.The factory manual is the first book to have-repair and
parts.All others come after that,even magazines.

7-When you have more days that 'the project' isn't fun to work on than days
it is then it is time to consider selling.This is when it is interfering
with your life rather than enhancing it.

8-Never finance a project.If you don't have the money then pass on it no
matter how good it looks or you will constantly be in the poor house like me.

My collection started with one truck and then I wanted to go into the
touring business so I bought several others for stock and units.The
government voted in killed every offroad tour operator around here.I lost my
shirt but still had the trucks but couldn't afford to finish them.the 'M'
stuff I got through trades.One M37 was going to be a recovery truck,work
truck.A lot of money is wasted on storage and moving stuff around.Although I
have created a sort of business buying and selling and doing repairs and
parts,this was not my original intention and in the next year or 2 I will be
reorganizing again now that a better government is in.I can go back to my
original plan of touring.In the mean time I have a bunch of Land Rover and
M37/43 stuff to sell.Got to down size to keep it manageable and keep my sanity.
Andre:)