Re: [MV] MVPA election

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 23:37:37 PDT

In a message dated Sat, 30 Jun 2001 12:15:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, DDoyle9570@aol.com writes:

>>It appears to me that there are several well qualified >>candidates running for
>>the MVPA board.snippage here....
>>regardless of age or national origin.

Dave,
I don't recall that age and national origin were issues last time Jim attempted to run. What I DO recall was a lot of behind the scenes rule changing and last minute
maneuvering. What I witnessed made me think of the old teamsters under Hoffa. You don't wait til your office is challenged to start calling rules committee meetings and changing bylaws. Before the board can represent us well, they must get along among themselves, don't you agree?

>>The fosterment of an interest in our
>>hobby (and history) within today's youth is also of great importance to me.

I think it's up to individual members to indoctrinate their young ones, not the organization. MVee's are adult items, at least to the extent that one must be legal age to drive one. While I don't disagree with you in the idea itself, we are more hard pressed right now to see that the hobby remains alive, and I believe every bit if the MVPA'S energy and money should be focused on that problem. If we survive the decade, then perhaps we can talk about a youth program.

>>Neither of the groups involved (government or youth) >>respond well to screaming or threatening, rather calm >>explanation, factual information, and
>>working within the system serve the hobby well.

While I agree again in ideals, that's not what took place last time there was a threat to the group, or the fracas over candidacy for office. There's nothing wrong with learning how to work within the legislative system, but I feel that the methods chosen did lasting damage to the organization. I'm all for doing things out in the open, NOT in a smoke filled boardroom behind closed doors. No member should support that kind of egalitarian conduct.

My .22213 mm/btu
Jack, still reeling from the metric thread