GM 6.2 liter diesel question

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 20:21:16 PDT

I just removed the glow plugs from the GM 6.2 liter V8 diesel engine
in my 1986 M998 HMMWV to inspect them, and I found that the one from
the #4 cylinder had a lot more soot on it than the others:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/mvc-752x.jpg

It's the second plug from the top on the right side in the picture.
They all have soot on the black skinny part, but #4 also has a lot of
soot on the silver-colored body between the black skinny part and the
threads. All eight plugs test out OK on a meter. None of the plugs
appear to be cracked or swollen.

Might this indicate a potential problem with that cylinder? The soot
on the body of the #4 plug was caked on pretty well, so I don't think
it was just deposited when I last turned off the engine, say from a
mis-firing cylinder as the engine stopped.

My engine smokes a lot more than I think it should at cold idle until
it warms up, and also runs a bit rough at idle until it warms up. I'm
trying to figure out what might be causing that... glow plug problems,
a leaky cylinder or two until the engine warms up, oil or fuel
dripping into one or more cylinders when the engine is off, injector
problems, etc. I'm checking the glow plugs first, because that's
easier than pulling out injectors to test them, doing a compression
check, etc. :-)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions from you diesel engine experts!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/