M37 is sick need advice

From: Mike and Cheryl (mleaton@netins.net)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 18:14:47 PDT

Well I wrote a while back about cleaning out a blown coil in the
distributor and got that job done. Put everything back in and can't
get it to idle right. Still have same problem. The idle is rough and
smoothes
most of the way out with about 1/2 inch of choke, but power is weak when
I try to drive the choked engine. Vacuum pressure at 17 inches gauge and
holds vacuum for quite a while after truck turned off. Seems like a fuel
problem
but runs pretty decent while driving with the choke off, just don't stop or
it will
die. I hate to mention this, cause it has always had it and I was hoping to
delay
this repair. There is an exhaust leak between the 2 manifold (where the
butterfly valve
is located). I know this isn't good, but hasn't caused a problem before so I
am 90%
sure I have another problem with it. Would a fuel problem cause this mostly
at idle?
maybe I got a bad coil. When I partially rebuilt the distributor (took out
weights greased
put in new coil, condenser, points, cap, rotor)I used the original internal
wires, a couple have been in tight places, but insulation was not cut. Don't
know if the
oil from coil soaks into them or not. I had a parts distributor and the
small weight spring looked
overstretched so I used the one out of my parts distributor (It looked
identical only no stretch marks)
If the oil pump gear jumped a tooth on me would it cause this problem?

Thanks
Stranded in Iowa Mike
mleaton@netins.net