M-38A1 "I must be nutz" status &?s

From: lehmans@execpc.com
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 12:30:55 PDT

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) List,

The I must be nutz part is that I picked this M-38A1 up and as my dad
says .."why don't you finish one project first?" (IE:M-37..) Well he
gets to help me with this one...

Now for the questions. I still need both rear leaf springs and all
mounting stuff which I am working on.

Q1. Will "standard" shocks for a "modern" jeep work on the M-38A1?
Seems to be the same size as the most in-expensive things over at
Sears Auto.

Q2. My shifter ball is indeed rusted. I took off the assembly today
and the gears and forks are fine..only slight corrosion spots on the
main gears 2-3 mm "spots" only 4 of them. I covered the "hole" up with
a plate made from heavy kitchen foil to keep the crud out.

 Suggestions to un-stick this thing? I appears that if one takes a
really huge wrench to the top of the thing one can un-screw the ball?
Yes or am I mistaken? A weeks worth of penitrating oil did nothing.

Back to the grime...

Thanks in advance as usual.

Daryl