Re: [MV] Shopping to replace my Ferret...

From: JaxInCalifornia@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 08:31:02 PDT

In a message dated 08/07/01 00:30:37 Pacific Daylight Time,
Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk writes:

<< FV433, FV434, FV101 (17/21st Lancers replacement vehicle), Ural 357, KRAZ
 255B, FV1103/1119, Sd.Kfz 1.38/2, to name but a few.

 Richard
 Southampton - England >>

Excellent choices Richard, would love one of each, maybe two, . . . if I had
room and money! However, reality rears it's ugly head and I am forced to
narrow my choice. Reality can be such a bummer at times!

That 8000 lbs of Ferret was too heavy to pull for any given distances in
hills (50% hills around here) so the FV's, as much as I would love one, won't
work with my present hauling ability. For that purpose I have a good 3/4 T
truck with a 25' gooseneck tilt bed trailer, 12,000 lb axles, hydraulic lift,
even a winch, but the truck just is not quite big enough for 10,000 lb pull
in hills.

So, either it shall have to move efficiently and reliably under it's own
power or I'll have to tow it and it better be under 6000 lbs, including
trailer weight of about 1400 lbs.

Would dearly love a Ural 357 or a KRAZ. Could drive those anywhere, no need
to tow. Parts may be the red flag! (Pun intended.) Not familiar at all
with the Sd.Kfz.

Any opinion on a lightweight Rover? Would have to be a pre 75.

I see some refurbs in the UK with what appears to be excellent prices, least
compared to what they sell for here, $8-10k. Prefer diesel and I see they
have some nice looking models in diesel, but haven't a clue about them
otherwise, but a Rover would be a snap to tow or drive.

Thanks much, Jack