Re: [MV] Wehrmacht paint colours reference available

From: Larry Mayo (hmayo@LUCENT.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 07:20:22 PDT

Renaud OLGIATI wrote:

> I have updated my web-site, repaired a few broken links, and added a very
> interesting text I was given for posting, on the various colour references
> used by the German Army during the last war.
>
> Enjoy,

This is the best work I've seen yet on the subject. I've done a good bit of
research
on this, and the exactly correct colors for the three-color German cammo. In
short,
there is none. I've seen original samples all over the map in hue and value. To
complicate matters, paint pigments change color over time because of exposure to
atmospheric gasses and pollution. Yellow pigments are the worst for this. What
started out as bright yellow in 1943 is now a muddy tan. I've given up on
telling
the newbies that their carefully matched paint from an aged sample is wrong.
Reputable museums use chemical analysis to match paint, not visual comparison. I
remember an article on the Garber facility that mentioned this.

                                                        Larry Mayo