CCKW water pump rebuild & 12v from 6v generator

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 15:26:28 PDT

Greetings.
                I think i best write to u BEFORE i do the job,
ie steering box has nice new GO! I did grease the pillow
block tho, there was no freeplay.

I bet u have had this problem. The water pump pulley
is frozen on, I can get it off, but it has already slightly deformed.
I doubt it can be made fully useable again. However, I am concerned
that i will possibly crack the water pump body when i press out
the shaft. Is this likely...i would feel a warm glow of
appreciation if i knew of any traps or tips beforehand.
The manual says the pulley to pump body should be 4 9/32.
mine is 4 17/32...is this critical...I have a bad omen
about this job... I have a pump kit, a pulley i can get.
I can get a whole NOS pump, but not for at least 6 weeks.
It hasnt been apart for at least 21 years, and the shaft, impellor, body
unions are welded with corrosion, the impellor and body are servicable
in my opinion, if i can get the apart without breaking them.

You probably know this already, but apparently u can run 12v
out of the 6v generator. A bloke I spoke to has this exact arrangement.
He stated it was done by an auto electrican, he did not know the exact
procedure,
but thought it involved an adjustment to the voltage rgulator.( He did say
other
auto-elecs said this was NOT possibe)
This make sense, I think generator voltage increases linearly with RPM??
and the Voltage regulator does the rest...I will research & experiment!
I would prefer this arrangement as it will look better than an alt
regards tony