Re: [MV] Wehrmacht paint colours? No big deal.........

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 23:00:20 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Mehlhorn" <a.mehlhorn@t-online.de>
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Wehrmacht paint colours? No big deal.........

> The abreviation "RAL" is still in use all over the industry but they
> only use
> the abreviation and not the complete written name. Only very few
> people here in Germany still know, where RAL comes from.

Silly question time.

If I walk into a North American paint shop and try and speak RAL instead of
Ditzler and the like, will they look at me askance, or know what I'm after?
In short, will the average North American auto paint supply outfit have the
RAL formulas in either the computer or The Really Big Book? Hope so,
because I sure wasted an awful lot of time, experimentation (and paint)
trying to come up with the 'correct' colour for a Kubel, bike and sidecar
and what must've been fifty-sixty German helmets not too long ago, and don't
care to repeat the experience ever again.

Cheers,

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.