Re: [MV] Mule problem help please

From: Emmett Thompson (kt4al@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 20:23:00 PDT

Ha Ha!
Don, you have the bane of mule skinners. This I think is the most prevalent
problem with both 2 and 4 cyl mules. Your fuel pump diaphragm is "tits up"
and is pumping fuel into the crank case. It is sure to ruin any engine if
ran too long.

Experienced Mule Skinners ( you now are one) smell the dip stick prior to
starting. The idea is to smell for MOGAS.

I was told that the old diaphragm does not like the new petrol that is in
the pumps today. This same problem cost me a lot of time and money. Who said
experience was cheap?

Get the fuel pump repaired. No do not think that a NOS pump is just fine.
The NOS pump will do the same, so get used to smelling the dip stick or get
someone to re-build your fuel pump with the latest diaphragm materials that
will tolerate the new fuels.

Regards
Emmett