NEW JEEP New negine install For me !

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 04:19:02 PDT

Hello all listers and others.

Last week I broke down and bought a daily driver.
It's Immaculate. PO did a vewry nice job !
Its a Dj (dispatcher jeep) - 1960

The floor was rotted so the previous owner fabricated a new floor out of
3/32" steel... They even formed the hump and noew there is NO Wood ! No Hat
Channels This tub probably weighs an extra 250 pounds due to the floor.

The tub walls are excellent. The DJ was a two wheel drive with columm
shift.

Someone has put a front wheel drive unit in it. both with 411 gearing. I
think thats what the previous owner said.

I had a fully reconditioned engine - long block - which I have spent the
last 3 days slowly carefully removing the old and replacing with the new.
This morning I'll oil it completely and run it up to small pressure - until
the gauge shows a small reading. all with the plugs out ...first !
 I've screwed an extra oil gauge right into the block so I can monitor oil
pressure immediately.

This jeep will have the t-90 removed and another added that is also rebuilt
and I'll include the overdrive that I This will occur in a week or two.

It has four all weather radials (15inch) much fatter than the originals
(Wrangler's)
I'll put photos up in a couple of days.

This is a fun jeep called the DJ it is now registered as of last friday and
has the CJ2a Grille - Low rise Hood - with the New rebuilt flathead 4 cyl.
engine. which was original in these I think - as was the columm shifter ???
Antone know more... please write me ?

It also has two small factory threaded holes in the middle of the fenders.
these are for Footman loops and were, we believe, what was found on the
(Hotel type) "Surry Jeeps"
You may have seen these in movies Surry's with the fringe on top -
transporting guests?
 There were two leathers straps from the fender's Footmans loops running
upto the top left and right side of the window frame... and they were in a
bright striped pink or blue finish.

This jeep was last registered in 1971 and had 4 owners since, none of whom
ever registerd it.

Pictures in a few days.

With a big Aussie grin
Regards,
Rob Pearson (aka - OldJeep Breath)
Upstate NY
42MB and now a total of 6 of these "lil buggers !

Oh, Mine hase no fringe ...and never will either LOL