Markings and stars M35A2

From: Orintz (orintz@hal3000.cx)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 23:04:59 PDT

Hi all,

I am getting confused re: paint/markings. Below is a clip of an email I
have sent in this regards and what I want to accomplish it's kinda long but
here goes:

<clip>
I was at the web site of the ATA Vietnam looking for pictures of M35A2's of
Vietnam era, researching my 1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 6X6 specifically paint
and markings...
<clip>
My vehicle came out of service in a camo paint scheme, bumper # 88C-R808MED
88C-R I believe is 88th Regional Support Command (Ft. Snelling)
808MED is the 808 Medical company in Ft. Sheridan.
That would make the truck a Reserve truck the ppl at 808 said they were very
much in Vietnam and felt the vehicle I own may have even been there. However
given its paint scheme I had thought that no M35's where painted camo in
Vietnam, and felt whether or not it was in nam it may have been painted this
way at a later date...not much later though as it is a fairly early camo
type. My truck will be at an airshow in one week...I want to represent it
properly ...I do not have time to repaint so I planned on fixing it up some
and making a poster board up giving the history of the deuce and a half from
W.W.II to it's latest manufacture date...Ft. McCoy has helped me some with
that...back to markings I was told that the rule was OD was always white
markings and white stars and camo was always black markings and black stars,
since I have camo I put the markings and stars back on in black. I can see
remnants of both black and white markings beneath the paint that the unit
painted over prior to sale. I guess I am asking if ...
1) Was there any camo painted deuces in nam?
2) Would a camo painted deuce have had black markings and stars regardless
of if it was in nam or not?
3) What year/years should I attribute this paint scheme to?
I have heard sooooo many conflicting reports on these issues and I just want
to be correct and represent this vehicle and the fellows who served
properly.
Perhaps for this year my plaque might read
 M35A2 1968 Kaiser Jeep 6X6
Commonly referred to as the deuce and a half
(insert some history)
this vehicle currently is shown with a camo paint scheme used around the
dates of 197?- 198?
which was adopted after (or was it at then end of) Vietnam until (insert
date of next camo color change)
future plans are a frame off restoration and repaint to OD with white
markings.
etc etc
special thanks to the veterans of Vietnam and to all those who served our
great country
We will not forget
etc etc.
Follow what I am trying to do?
The vehicle can be seen at
http://hal3000.cx/~orintz/mv.html
The pics prior to purchase show the paint better just click that link.
<clip>
Thanks for any help in advance!
Orintz