Re: [MV] Markings and stars M35A2

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 05:33:30 PDT

I am sorry to be so brief but am rushing before my ride to Ft. Lee gets here.

Here is the scoop....
According to my research, all US deuces in Vietnam wore the Semi-Gloss OD
with white markings as proclaimed in TB 746-93-1, October 1964.

The first camo scheme was what is commonly called 4 color camo. It is
described in TB 43-0209, October 1976. It is also shown in a color TB, which
I can't lay my hands on now. With the intro of this scheme the markings
changed from white to black, and the registration number, AKA "hood number,"
moved from outside to inside the truck, and the large stars on doors and hood
went away.

Next came the three color camo, and the intro of CARC, Chemical Agent
Resistant Coating. I can't lay may hands on the camo manual right now, but
the application manual is TM 43-0139, July 1988.

As for the truck itself, production of the gassers was well underway by 1951,
and by 1961 multifuel production had begun. They were built by variously:

Reo
Lansing Division of White
Diamond Reo?

Studebaker