M35 front bearings wanted (long)

From: k, d, j, m, & a miller (thisoldhouse@libcom.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 21:14:44 PDT

hi.
Went to Walmart today to pick up a bunch of
trees. Thought the deuce would be the easiest
(and most fun). The two sales men working the
plant department just about fell over each other
to tell me their stories about deuce driving and
riding during Vietnam. All was well. Then came
the ride home.

On the ride home, I heard a bunch of grinding noises,
and then the trunk wanted to pull to the right. I got out
and looked and felt and everything seemed OK.
I continued with the 3 miles till I would be home.
Another 2 miles later, I stopped because of a burning
smell. I got out to find the passenger front hub on fire.
Yikes, time to get the neighborhood kid to fetch a bail
of water. It was then I noticed that the tire seemed way
out of alignment. Like it was going to fall off!
The kid showed up and I got the fire out. Now I am
doing damage assessment. Does not look good. Still
1 mile from home and the front wheel leans more than
the shed I built in the back yard. I carefully jack up the
truck until the front wheel literally falls off. The inner
bearing is toast. The outer bearing is worse, nothing but
crumbs. Doing a quick cost analysis, I determine that it
is cheaper to drive the truck home at risk of more damage,
than to call a wrecker. Interesting to drive with nothing to
hold the front wheel on. Drove the rest of the way in
low range 2nd gear. Got it home with the wheel falling
off only one time.

I did a quick look at home. Some further damage to the
spline as the bearing races were riding on it. Damage to
the front brake shoes and backing plate when the wheel
fell off the one time. Can be fixed with some careful hits
with a medium size hammer.

So... I need the inner and outer bearings and races. I assume
the races are pressed into the hub. The hub looks OK. Some
damage in between the races but shouldn't have any effect.
The spline, I guess, could be welded and machined to fill
in the grooves, but if cost is not too bad, I would rather
buy a new or take off. Oh, bearing seals are gone, probably
was fuel during the fire. Axle spline and threads for the outer big
nuts look good. Nuts do not look good. Need replaced.
I do not think I need anything else. Anybody know something
that I am missing or should check? Anybody have these parts?
Any how much.

thanks,
kurt