Re: [MV] Photo's of Lee and such WW II 1/4 ton through Deuce Stuff

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 07:36:42 PDT

Hi Adrian:
    I saw you driving around with your TOW Mutt and it was VERY nice, but
don't know if I took a specific photo of it, but if I did I will shoot it
over.
    In regard to "Vultures", you haven't experienced them until you go to a
HAM flea market. They walk alongside the trailer as you drive in, lifting
the tarps. They then tell you what crap you have and low ball you and "do
you a favor" by offering to buy it right now. They don't understand 'GO
AWAY' or even stronger language. They show up at 0500 on show days and it is
not uncommon to find them picking over your tarped table when you wake up
and come out of your camper/tent/vehicle. MV'ers are a more civil breed. It
is unusual to hear ripoff stories that occur overnight. Not that they don't
occur, just rare. SOME HAM's are a seperate catagory of 'scum' all their own
at flea markets.
    And in regards to purchase and repricing, it happens. I have a terrible
time putting a price on things, and stuff goes quickly, meanining it's
priced too low. I watched one Mermite can, NIB, start out at one end of
field Wednesday AM at $45, move around to 3 other vendors with an increase
in price at each one and end up Saturday midmorning at $100 at the last guy
who packed it in his truck at wrap up. Arrive early, buy low, sell high is
the mantra. But the best deals go down between vendors on setup day and at
pack up on the last day.
    In regards to restoration and judging, WOW, I wouldn't want to be a
judge for any money. How do you judge a couple of years worth of effort when
you don't know what the guy was shooting for and cram it into a "Category".
If I ever bring a vehicle to a show, it would never be for anything except
motor pool class. I remember watching a heated discussion at the 1986 Lowell
Show over red circles around a zerk fitting on a restored, pristine M38A1.
It was not pretty.
    I just like driving them. Close is fine for me, but not for the next
guy. Don't matter to me. If you don't like what I've done, buy it from me
and knock yourself out. That's what is so neat in this hobby. There is room
for all of us. Ya just have to learn to walk away from the really anal ones.
    Ron