Re: [MV] Mule problems

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 15:42:17 PDT

>My 274A2 runs fine for about 7-10 minutes, then once it
>is warm it starts acting like it has a fuel restriction,
>the engine loses power, runs slowy at full throttle,
>backfires through the carb once or twice, and dies. It
>will immediatley restart, but only run for a few
>seconds. The longer I wait, the longer it will run...
>wait 5 minutes and it will run for 2 or 3. Once it cools
>all the way off it will run for 7-10 minutes again.
>
>I thought it may be a fuel pump problem, so today I put
>a 12v eletric one I had laying in the shop on it, but it
>still does the same thing.
>
>Any advice from the mule experts out there?

Hardly an expert but I have a mule that I know inside out. I can think of
four things to look into:

1) Carb - Carbs are dirt cheap, maybe get a spare and see if that does the
trick.

2) Mag - Mag coils have a finite life, the insulation cracks over time and
water gets in over time and they start shorting out worse and worse as the
coil gets warm, although I have heard of weird things happening when the
condenser in the mag goes bad also.

3) Fuel Return Line - Maybe your return line back to the tank is plugged,
also check and make sure the orifice in the "T" fitting on the carb is not
plugged. I know it's a PIA to get at but see if gas comes out of that
little 1/8" tube where it enters the tank when the motor is running.

4) Fuel Tank Cap Vent - Maybe the cap vent is plugged. I have seen several
brand new caps, including the one on my mule now, that where plugged even
though the little valve lever said "open". Try running it with the cap off,
or take it off when it quits and see if there is a vacuum in the tank.

good luck,

je