Re: [MV] Brake fluid replacement question

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 06:06:08 PDT

> Good luck! You need denatured alcohol for the
> flush.

You know........ that's what everyone says but I converted two of my civy
vehicles, one of which is now 20 years old and close to 300k miles and all I
did was suck out the master, fill it up with silicone, and then purge the
lines (but more than normal), perhaps go around to each bleeder twice.
Never had any trouble and I think that if I was being too cavalier about
this and it really was necessary to do all this alcohol stuff that I would
have had some problem of some kind by now???

I should mention that I do regularly do a purge on the system, any time I
work on the brakes or every couple years, I do what I described above. But
then you really should do that with any brake fluid.

>I wasn't able to find any because it's
> classified as a "hazardous substance"(!)

Welcome to the unreal world of the EPA, everything is hazardous, everything
is toxic, we should all live in litle rubber rooms with a TV in the corner.
There's almost always ways around all this but you have to get creative and
even start lying, and of course pry your wallet open even more.

have fun !

je