Re: [MV] Alcohols/brake fluid

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 21:22:09 PDT

In a message dated 8/11/01 9:14:51 PM Central Standard Time,
rbarber41@hotmail.com writes:

<< OK guys .. Will the resident SAE guru please tell
 us what the difference between DOT 3 , 5 and 5.1
 fluid is ??. I've been using DOT 3 in all my rolling
 hardware without problems.. >>

Not resident SAE guru (just wimpy M guy!), but the specs for these are found
at:
The Department of Transportation specs are on the Internet at:
http://squid.law.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=49&PART=571&SECTION=116

&TYPE=TEXT

It give great detail as to the differences and properties, but a useful bit
of information contained is:
Sec. 571.116 Standard No. 116; Motor vehicle brake fluids.

S5.1.14 Fluid color. Brake fluid and hydraulic system mineral oil
shall be of the color indicated:
DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 non-SBBF--colorless to amber.
DOT 5 SBBF--purple.
Hydraulic system mineral oil--green.

SBBF stands for Silicon Based Brake Fluid

Hope this helps,
David