Re: [MV] cucv diff

From: Jim Allen (jimallen@onlinecol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 06:24:38 PDT

Ian,

    First off, make sure that your diff is not overfilled. The symptom
(assuming it is coming frm the vent) fits this scenario exactly. Simply
remove the FILL plug with the unit parked on level ground (there's enough
room to get under there without jacking it up), put a pan under the diff and
let the excess drain to the level of the bottom of the fill hole. The shop
may have filled the unit with the vehicle on the hoist and the diff hanging
by the springs, which is not level. If overfilled, the ring gear will throw
excess amounts of oil up and out the vent. I'd check the oil level
regardless, but your idea to test the shop's claim that the oil is coming
from the vent and not from their repair is a good one. Keeps 'em honest!
    The extended vent tube is to move the diff vent up for fording so water
won't enter through the vent while the axle is submerged. All diffs have
some sort of a vent, but better 4x4s have extensions like yours.
    Good luck!

    Jim Allen

--

---------- >From: cmpdbase@telusplanet.net >To: jimallen@onlinecol.com >Subject: [MV] cucv diff >Date: Wed, Aug 15, 2001, 10:46 PM >