Re: [MV] FOIA (was Re: [MV] M-816)

From: J. Forster (jfor@onemain.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 22:47:41 PDT

As a first step, find out what your state has for a public records law. Find out
what you can get, and how much they can charge you to look at it and to copy it.
Get this info from the STATE, not the locals, and do it before you ask for
records. Then make your request in writing, so if they don't comply fully, you
can make a case out of it.

> I understand what you mean about the unreasonably high
> costs though...I think that goes against the spirit of
> the FOIA in the same way their selective enforcement
> of this code goes against the spirit of why it was
> enacted.

Be careful. The issue of selective enforcement (or non-enforcement) is a
slippery slope. A judge might just see it as "discretion" on their part. You
could get screwed.

-J