Re: [MV] Terrorist Attack

From: Jim Webster (jimweb@simonides.org)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 18:07:00 PDT

J. Forster wrote:

> Actually, a big hole is less of a stress concentration than a small
> hole. It is more lilkely to tear out due to aerodynamic forces, but the
> tearing will likely stop at the edge of the next skin sheet. I still
> don't think a few bullet holes would bring down a plane.
>
> How about all those WW II birds that returned to Britain, full of Jerry
> cannon holes? In those days, aluminum was certainly not of current
> aircraft quality. I will admit that B-17's or B-25's were not
> pressurized, but the hoop stress due to pressurization is not all that
> large.

Yes but they were not flying at the heights and speeds that modern jet
passenger aircraft fly at.

Looking at this book on air disasters I have it seems that if it happens
below 33,000 then the aircraft has a reasonable chance of surviving.
Above that its a very low chance of surviving.

But why 33,000? is that the height at which the air is simply too thin
to breathe or are the stresses greater up there?

TTFN
Jim
ICQ: 58721472 [usually online 1500-2300 UK Time]