Demil bill's language. Are we overreacting?

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 10:30:23 PDT

Hi all,

I am just wondering if we are reading the legislation correctly as it
pertains to our hobby. The language in the House Bill speaks of
exceptions for equipment which was sold off by Government Contracts,
which I take it includes DRMO sales. Language of the exceptions is as
follows:

(1) when a person is in possession of significant military equipment
formerly owned by the Department of Defense for the purpose of
demilitarizing the equipment pursuant to a Government contract.

(4) to other issues and undemilitarized significant military equipment
under the provisions of the provisions of the Department of Defense
Demilitarization Manual, DoD 4160.21-M-1.

I'm still 1000% against the language in both of the pending Bills, but I
am just curious if this does not necessarily directly apply to every
military vehicle as it first appears. It would be good to know this in
the event that this crap passes.

Thanks,

Steve