Re: [MV] top speed of an M35

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 11:52:43 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "m18.hellcat" <m18.hellcat@netzero.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] top speed of an M35

> We've covered this guys,
>
> Horsepower is a simple mathmatical function of Torque
>
> oversimplified it looks like this: horsepower = torque x rpm / 5252 (its
> actually got more factors for efficiency)

This doesn't seem to work and how does it refer to engines that don't even
make 5252 rpm without exploding ?

eg, looking at RR Manual TSD 702 for the B Range engine we have:
the B 40, 80 BHP @ 3750rpm and 138 lb.ft @ 2000 rpm, using the equation it
gives a BHP answer of 52.55.

The B 60 (for all you Ferret owners) is 130 BHP @ 3750 rpm and 209 lb.ft @
2400 rpm which gives 95.51 HP.

For the B 81 we have 235 HP @ 4000rpm and 354 lb. ft @ 2500rpm giving
168.51HP

> thus when OVERLAYED on similar bi-axis they will ALWAYS cross at 5252 rpm

I have the RR graphs and they do not cross at 5252rpm but at 2800rpm in this
case, the formula does appear to roughly express the horsepower at the
torque peak though.

Richard
Southampton - England