Re: [MV] Well... this whole legal debate has...

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 14:00:28 PDT

Hi Rikk,

>How do you get the idea this is not in effect?
>This is from the current munitions list, that is in effect.

Only those definitions which have an asterisk "*" before them are
currently in effect. Reading through BATF rules regarding Form 6 it
specifically states that the non "*" sections are not in force and are
irrelevant. The Section VII clauses that are not in effect are:

------
   (d) Military trucks, trailers, hoists, and skids specifically
designed, modified, or equipped to mount or carry weapons of Categories
I, II and IV or for carrying and handling the
articles in paragraph (a) of Categories III and IV.

   (h) All specifically designed or modified components and parts,
accessories, attachments, and associated equipment for the articles in
this category, including but not limited to
military bridging and deep water fording kits.

   (i) Technical data (as defined in § 120.21 of this subchapter) and
defense services (as defined in § 120.8 of this subchapter) directly
related to the defense articles enumerated in
paragraphs (a) through (h) of this category. (See § 125.4 of this
subchapter for exemptions.) Technical data directly related to the
manufacture or production of any defense articles enumerated elsewhere
in this category that are designated as Significant Military Equipment
(SME) shall itself be designated SME.
------

So, as the rules are currently written right now, even if this new
legislation goes through a lot of stuff we own is exempt from any
possible DoD decisions to come after it. That is, unless they decide to
change the definitions for SME. But since they can do that at any time
they like, regardless of this legislation, that point is rather
irrelevant. All we can do is look at things how they are now and how
they might be if actual pending laws/rules/definition changes are
approved.

Steve