Re: [MV] Military Tent for Sale

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 11:18:23 PDT

Has anyone on this list ever seen a Mobiflex military tent?

They are large 6-man tents either in a 5' high ("crew shelter") or 8'
high model )"command post"). One man can completely set it up in less
than a minute, and it is completely stand-alone.

It comes in a cylindrical bundle. you stand it up on its end and
spread out the spider legs, then reach into the middle and pop up the
center hub joint. Then you pop out the 5 side hub joints and you're
DONE! The tent fabric remains always attached to the inside of the
frame. Throw the camo fly over it and stake down the corners if it is
windy.

If you ever get the chance to buy one at a surplus shop or other
source, buy it without hesitation! They usually run between $500 and
$1500 depending on condition, and are still available new for $2200.
You can get all the parts from the manufacturer. These tents are hard
to find in the surplus world, but are really easy and useful!

If anyone on this list has information on the history of these tents
as used in the military, I would love to hear it. I'm curious which
branches used them, where, and info on how they can be connected
together.

I have 2 "crew shelter" and 1 "command post" versions of this tent
(not for sale). I use one of the crew shelters every month. MV
content: I carry the tent in the back of my deuce, and set the tent up
between the deuce and M1007 and it looks cool!

Thanks!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net