Re: [MV] Color of registration numbers

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 10:49:16 PDT

OKM.... wrote:
>.........This query concerns the color of the vehicle registration numbers
>in 1941 and
>the first quarter of 1942. YES, I do know what the regulations say. Prior to
>April, 1942 the registration numbers were to be in white, and changed to blue
>drab in April...........

   I am unsure of what regulations you are referring to here. I have done
quite a bit of research at the National Archives in the Q.M. paint files
and have only found the Blue Drab to have been used in the time period you
specified. ALL Ford military vehicles in this time period (including the
GP/GPW) used the Blue Drab paint.

     When the specifications for the first 1/4 ton 4x4 (JEEP) contracts
were let out (circa 1940), the paint spec's called for the registration
numbers to be white. However, this was changed to Blue Drab before the
prototypes were built.
      Blue Drab paint was specified to prevent observation of the
registration numbers by enemy aerial reconnaissance. At a distance, the
Blue Drab had the same light reflective qualities as the Lusterless Olive
Drab paint (spec. ES-474) used on the tactical combat vehicles. This caused
the Blue Drab numbers to appear the same as the body color in the black and
white films used in this period of time. Thusly, the enemy could not
identify units by their vehicles as the numbers did not appear in the
aerial photos.
    There were two types of Blue Drab paint used. The color was exactly the
same for both. The later Blue Drab was developed because the earlier would
fade to a lighter shade with in a month or two outside in the sunlight.
This would then allow the number to be "seen" by the black and white film
and would appear to "look" white.

> ....The regulation specifies that the numbers were to be applied
>by the factory...........

     This was done using a standard type and style of stencil.

> .....My question is: did the factory begin applying blue drab
>numbers immediately, was there a delay in implementation, or had they
>actually been applying the numbers in blue before the date of the change to
>the regulation?........

      Blue Drab was used on most vehicles produced during the war. ALL Ford
GP and most GPW's used it as did Willys, Bantam, Studebaker, GMC, Dodge,
trucks, tanks, armored cars, half tracks, scout cars etc. in this time period.

> ....Has anyone recovered original registration numbers from a
>pre-April '42 vehicle (of any type)? Were they in white or blue drab?........

      I have recovered the Blue Drab numbers on several of my Ford GP's and
have seen original existing Blue Drab numbers on other GP's and GPW's along
with Ford G-8-T trucks, weasels, dodges and several tanks.

   BTW..............all of these numbers were "solid" and did not have the
web breaks that were on the stencils. The paint spec's called for the
breaks to be painted in with a brush. Some of the stencils used by the
factories were of the "peel and stick" gummed back type that did not have
the breaks.

    Jim

   NOTE NEW ADDRESS----NOTE NEW ADDRESS---NOTE NEW ADDRESS------AS OF
JANUARY 4, 2001---------