Re: [MV] Band of Brothers

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 16:04:41 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Richoux" <tubaman@wombat.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2001 7:38 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Band of Brothers

> One question I have regarding their use of MVs - maybe some of you WW2
combat vets
> can answer - after some of the smaller battles the troops were taken
directly back
> to the rear area in 6x6 open cargo trucks - how close to the front lines
would such
> a vulnerable truck be taken? I know the concept of APC had not been
developed much
> in WW2 with the exception of half-tracks but it seemed a bit odd to me.

Indeed so, good question. APC's did exist in rudimentary form, the Ram
Kangaroo and universal carrier spring to mind, neither convenient or ideal.

> also, in some episodes, how did the trucks get there so soon after a
parachute drop?

Yes, I wonder if this was artistic licence perhaps.

Incidentally some interesting comments on BoB to be had on the BBC website,
see:
http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/reviews/newsid%5F153500
0/1535834.stm

Richard