Re: [MV] [MVlist] RE: [MV] PE95 G Gen Set

From: M35products@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 07:08:46 PST

In a message dated 11/1/01 10:01:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
davidcole@tk7.net writes:

<< 'm not getting all of the MV emails for some reason, it doesn't seem to be
 consistent, however many are obviously missing.

 Yanking meters is obviously not a good idea in the middle of a storm.
However
 rules vary greatly by state apparently. When I was in Cincinnati, I noticed
 glowing wire in my meter box, I immediately yanked the meter and replaced
some
 wiring in the box. (Yes, I have an electrical background) I really didn't
have
 much choice since I didn't want to lose power and/or have the wiring simply
 catch on fire. I called the power company immediately after I repaired the
 wiring problem and they were very non-chalant about the entire event. I
asked
 for someone to come re-seal the meter that day and they said, we will make a
 note of it and do the reseal in the next few months! It was many months
before
 they finally resealed the meter.

 I've never heard of using an old meter base to "plug into a house" with a
 generator. Certainly it would work if the wiring was proper, however I
wouldn't
 recommend doing that unless you were very proficient electrically.
Backfeeding
 a power line can kill a lineman and a charge of manslaughter and all of the
 ramifications is very serious stuff.

 Be careful out there.

 Dave

Watch out, Dave. You just made the same mistake that I made. (Trying to
help someone) Better put on the flame-resistant vest.

Arthur (Not a S**T house lawyer) Bloom