Re: [MV] Willys DJ3A Surrey MB Jeeps

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 00:56:59 PST

The DJ-3 reached a culmination of sorts with the civilian 'Jeep Postale'
ca 1973. AM General/Kaiser-Willys (mine has both names used at different
spots) made a slew of these wonders for the USPService. All-GM drive train
with 151cu inch ohv 2.5L engine along with absolutely bullet-proof
Powerglide 2 speed auto trans 'on the floor'. Block was often used for
marine duty (Mercruiser). Distributor still readily available at JCWhitney
as "68 Chevy Nova 4cyl". Rockwell front axle has cheap plastic replacement
kingpin bushings available thru NAPA. Keep 'em greased! Those with a mind
to upgrade any Jeep 4x2 should grab one of these. Utility body is roomy
and convenient. Sliding doors (self-closing when you apply brakes) give a
good sense of security. Suggest wearing a Snell-approved motorcycle
helmet. Weight distribution gives remarkably good grip for a 2wd vehicle
and highway handling is quite fine at 55 or even 60mph. Really. I put over
5k miles on mine; was my only running vehicle for a few months (gasp).

In 1981 or so, the next batch of DJ3 came out. These had 6 cyl engines and
were fleeted out for $300- apiece during the 1990s as the replacements
came in from Grumman- a whole different beast.

In <list-1353908@skylee.com>, on 11/06/01
   at 03:56 AM, "aussierob" <aussierob@odyssey.net> said:

>Yes I did leave the columm shift as well as the other 4.... and snakes
>alive everyone who's never seen this configuration is stumped at first.
>Mainly the non Willys people, of course.

>It's a great talking point with the 5 shift levers.
>Although I getting mentally ready to run the Toyota engine up the chain
>hoist for the big change over.
>Regards Rob P. Upstate NY area

Bill -upstate NY-

--