Re: [MV] M548 track question

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@ruralnet.net.au)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 02:17:10 PST

Mark

> > 63 required on the left and 64 on the right.
>
> Interesting. Can anybody explain why it was designed to need different
> numbers of track pads on each side?

It has something to do with the torsion bars causing the wheels to be
staggered (if viewed from a datum point measured down the length of
the vehicle). Although the L & R sprocket and L & R rear idler
are at the same datums and thus the 1st through last road wheels
on one side are slightly in front of their counterparts on the
opposite side, it appears that this is of consequence and does not
cancel out.

When the tracks wear to the limit of the adjuster, you can remove a
maximum of one link per side.

Quick and easy way to tell track wear is to get a standard "BIC" biro
and see if you can get the body of it to easily slide between the hinge
of 2 links. If it bottoms out where the links join, then those 2 links
are out of spec. What I mean is that you slide the biro into the outer
"gap" of where the links join NOT in the middle of the joint (hinge).
On an M113/548, basically if the biro goes all the way to where the
casellated nut of the track pin is, then the link is U/S.

Regards
Doug

                 Armoured Vehicles Collector
        _______
      _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
    _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
   / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
  /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill __/=_|____|_=\__
  |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
          M8 Ferret

                     dgrev@ruralnet.net.au