Re: [MV] Sanding and body prep

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 14:16:03 PST

Beware of those siphon blasters. They're okay on little stuff, but if you plan
to do a whole vehicle frame and/or body, pack a lunch. Maybe a few of them!
I played with one of those, took me about four hours to do two MB seat frames
I now have a diesel powered compressor and a pressure pot.
As to the orbital sander, I get good results from an air powered double acting
orbital. The disc is not only rotated (spun at high speed), but it goes off
axis
to give the double effect. I also use an air "jitterbug" (an air powered block
sander). On rough surfaces, I use 80 grit paper with the "jitterbug" and then
follow up with 220 and 320 using the orbital. These require at least 15 CFM
and about 90 psi of air. If you plan to go all the way to bare metal, having
the job done by a professional sand blaster will be worth the expense.
Joe Young