RE: [MV] cammo

From: Randall Scheffler (roughdoc@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 05:02:30 PST

The effects on enemy gunners makes your statement generally true.

The multi-color camo jobs make it difficult for enemy gunners to acquire,
determine range, and in the case of our wire guided missiles, keep the
sight on the vehicle. The biggest aid to target acquisition is movement,
so a stationary vehicle can pretty much be any "natural" color. The
camouflage pretty much aids AFTER the vehicle has been acquired.

We (the allies) did tremendous things with camouflage and deception during
WW II, but the efforts have pretty much disappeared.

Every once in a while RAND corp or someone else tries to revitalize this
critical war-winning skill, but to little avail. They are in the process
of publishing a report on urban camouflage.

In WW II, entire airplane factories were camouflaged. Disney played a
critical role in fixed site camouflage.

Doc