Re: [MV] M38A1 Brakes

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 10:16:02 PST

>I have the rear axel of my '54 M38A1 on a table in my garage. The story so
>far:
>-Removed the wheel nuts, removed tire.
>-Removed hub cap (if you want to call it that) and large nut behind it that
>locks onto the axel shaft.
>
>I am now unable to remove the drum brake covers. Cleaner, WD-40 and hammer
>have been unsuccessful. There are three flat head screws in this drum
>between the wheel bolts, are these what is holding on the brake drum?

I would not bother with those. Just pop the hub off, you've already got the
nut off anyway. Sometimes they will pull off with just a tap of a hammer
(right Daryl !) other times you need a puller, and there is one made just
for that with three arms that bolt into 3 of the 5 studs, then striking bar
on the end of the screw is hit with a hammer, repeatedly, till it pops off.
The idea of removing the drums without having to remove the hub is
excellent, but you have to sort of maintain it over time with anti-sieze, or
it becomes useless. It is much easier to deal with splitting the drum from
the hub and replacing the screws (which you may not want to even bother
with) on a bench. And besides, if the brakes are messed up enough that your
going to work on them, it would be a really good idea to look at the wheel
bearing and seals, perhaps some fresh grease.

good luck,

je