Re: [MV] Mules in Snow

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 21:34:40 PST

Funny enough...

>I got to play around with the M274 mule tonight on some of the iced over
>streets in my neighborhood. It's a blast.

I used my M274A2 in the snow for the first time tonight as well! There
is only about 6 inches on the ground with less and more in spots due to
drifting. I had to pick up a load of firewood so instead of firing up
the Weasel I used the MULE instead. Until I got the sucker loaded up I
had problems steering worth a damned on even mild slopes, even though I
have super aggressive ATV tires on mine. But I was able to do what I had
to do. More importantly, I did it in style and fun :-)

Even more importantly I did it with the full knowledge that the MULE is
not a toy, so I did my driving in 1st Gear Low. Although I did not have
the same fun experience of G.R. Baker, I did watch my MULE go over a 12
foot when my clutch stuck and the back rear wheel hit a stump, directing
it without warning over the edge. I managed to bail out (thankfully it
went off to the right, not left!!!) and only suffered from whiplash and a
few bruises. Fortunately that was all and my MULE only suffered very
minor damage. Unfortunately my wife was watching the whole thing and is
now not as happy about the MULE as she once was.

I've heard many horror stories on this list from MULE owners and drive
mine carefully. Still, I had a serious accident in a rather short period
of time. Thankfully mine pales in comparison to the broken backs,
femurs, arms, ribs, etc. I've read about.

MULES might be usefull and fun, but it is also the most dangerous MV I
own. I will not likely forget that any time soon.

Steve