Re: [MV] photos of mil-veh @ NARA

From: Richard Lathrop (lathrrs@snip.net)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 02:59:14 PST

Steve,

If you were to create an index such as you describe, all you would need to do is order a copy based on the index number you would not have to go back to the archives.

In the US most of the photographs are copyright free since they where created by a government agency it is in the public domain. Some of the newer photographs do however have copyright restrictions.

But as far as I am aware of unless it is noted on the card most of the WW2 to Vietnam era stuff can be copied. You can also take a camera into the Archives and photograph the prints as much as you wish. They provide photo tables with lamps to take the your photos on.

If you think photographs are fun the motion picture depository can be even neater, just the catalog alone takes up several feet of space on a library stack type system.

Rick Lathrop

From: "Steve Malikoff (MIL-VEH account)" <44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:07:34 +1100