Re: [MV] Tracks on Ice Stories And WW I Tank Wanted

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 17:16:24 PST

A friend of mine had his tank destroyed in Germany in the fifties due to icy
roads. He was TC, his driver slid into a tree, convoy commander ordered them
to proceed despite precarious position. Crew flat refused (Bill was SHORT),
green horn jumped in, pushed into gear and plunged over edge. Patton skied
down mountain perpendicular to switchbacks in road, before coming to a rest.
Volunteer driver severely injured. Power pack broke loose from mounts,
recoil mechanism on main gun destroyed, as well as suspension damage.
No discipline for crew, but was for convoy commander.

As far as the Renault...I read a mag in the past year or so showed pictures
of Renault behind fence as memorial somewhere in US or Canada. Maybe someone
else on list can better remember what mag it is. Have seen pictures of many
going to Canada for training use just prior to US involvement in WWII.
Therefore, Canada may be better hunting ground than US.

My .02,
David