Re: [MV] wanted M1008 or M1028

From: RKubu@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 04:32:56 PST

Let me preface this by saying that I AM NOT A DEALER.

I agree with you...to a certain extent. I think there are people, not just dealers, jacking prices up out there. I also think there are reputable dealers out there selling trucks for fair prices. Let me give you an example of the former. John Winslow (252-826-5605) in North Carolina has a beautiful 1986 M1008 for sale. He is asking $7500. Sound high? Probably to you. Well, here is the skinny on the truck...one that will blow the hell out of most, or all $6000-6500 M1008s. The truck has a new hood, driver's door, tailgate and bed (sides and floor)...all brand new Chevy parts. The truck has new tires and new brakes. It has a new dash...not a dash pad. It has a a newly recovered driver's seat. It has fresh 686A tan CARC paint, properly applied over sealer and primer. It has been correctly stenciled. It has correct 6TL batteries. The bed and cab-floor have been covered by spray-in bed liner (LINEX). The truck is tight...I have driven it. It is well worth the money

By the way, I could have just as easily mentioned Jeff Symanski (Tactical Truck) or Joe Young in the above example as selling trucks of good value...I have done business with both and consider them friends, too.

As I said, I do agree with you...there are SOME people out there trying to jack prices up for the run-of-the-mill crap. However, there are still bargains to be had for what looks like higher than usual prices. I am sure that most people on this list understand that if you buy a $5000 M1008 and put everything into that is in the truck mentioned above, nine times out of ten, you will not come out ahead buying the truck completed.

Let me let you guys in on a secret...it's not a sin to buy from a dealer. I buy through auctions (GL, GSA and the former DRMO)...and I STILL buy retail if I find the right truck for the right price.

My .02,
Bruce

1957 M125 w/w
1966 M172A1