Re: [MV] HAWGS rule

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 04:39:32 PST

Lemme c naw (dusts off cobwebs fum brain?)

Open left tank cap and check oil level, See oil? Halfway up tank or more
good to go....right tank got gas? OK. Rotate left hand grip all the way
while looking at distributor <should if foggy memory serves pull distributor
ccw aka: cable will pull in> Turn gas to on or reserve if gas supply
low....blip throttle to verify freely moving <tis disconcerting to start
bike and NOT be able to get below 3000 RPM> Ifnya want to start it by da
book drop rear center wheel stand and raise bike upon it Verify ur in
neutral so wheel don't spin like a madman wheen it starts. OHYEAH! Turn
ignition switch on and see if url/generator lights come on....switch
off...choke on..throttle closed and fold out kicker and bring up to
commpression and kick over two or three times THEN choke off switch on and
it will fire right up no problemo.

DID I FORGET ANYTHING????

Oh Yeah the bike in question is one coffee friend aquired 12 years ago due
entirely to his Wife. She is a diehard yard sale freak and asked hubby to
get the pickup so she could pickup her newest buy, a NOS civilian
refrigerator for $20! He follows her directions and after loading she spots
some new items to look at at the same house...hubby walks into open garage
to look at tools and stuff. Over in corner is a pile of engine parts and
while looking them over the owner says "GIMMIE $10". Quickly forks over
moolah and upsets wife by stopping at local HD dealer for a complete 1938 45
inch gasket set primary and transmission included. Four days later he/we
kick it over and start it on a test stand runs the balls. Hubby now has a
different opinion of yard sales and starts going with the wife in the pickup
and three weeks later as she described it "while making a right hand turn he
threw the brakes on and leaped out of the truck to look at a bicycle on
someones front lawn. Rang doorbell and paid $200.00 for an old piece of crap
bicycle". Piece of crap bicycle turned out to be a 1928 Harley Davidson
Model JD motorcycle without engine or tranny. <this is the model that Harley
intrduced the 45 inch flathead engine to the world>. Bike has NO
rust/dings/dents/ or any problems save flaking original DARK GREEN PAINT
<almost looks like OD>and hasss the optional tank mounted BRASS speedometer
and it WORKS.
    Brainless almost exfriend shows up the following Saturday riding this
wonderful collection of parts where he turns down a bonafide offer of
$10000.00 on the basis of theWife won't let me buy another. He is still
riding it. Anyone know anyone else who can ride bike that costs not
including registraion $250.00?? And yes he even turned me down when I tried
to buy it from him.

Just as a matter of info the HD factory dosen't offer a kickstarter but you
can add them to the Evo 80's not sure on the 88's.

James Shanks
1998 IMZ 8.103 Russian OD paint job right from the Factory. (Built in the
original plant in Irbit, Siberia, Russia. Comes complete with sidecar.
www.ural.com
1984 HD FLHT-C