Re: [MV] U.S. Senate Bill Would Fund Private Vehicle Scrappage Programs

From: Colin Macgregor Stevens (cmstevens@telus.net)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 07:08:26 PST

Normally I keep out of the US legislative concerns. I offer the following
Canadian experience in case it may be useful,

About 25 years ago the Province of Saskatchewan embarked on a mobile car
crusher program to clean up the old hulks. It was a free service to those
with old cars on their farms etc. The crusher people had a contract and got
to sell the "cubes" as I recall.

Car collectors were saddened because many restorable vehicles and parts
vehicles were crushed.What was worse is that the crusher operators REFUSED
to allow anything to be saved, and even crushed a Boat-tail Auburn car which
a collector was trying to save.

If anything like that starts to rear its head in your state, I suggest that
clubs lobby to be included in the process. A hotline so that crusher
operators can alert clubs to interesting vehicles, a want list posted with
crusher operators, a method of collectors being able to buy vehicles for
restoration or parts and save them from the crusher.

Lots of complications of course e.g. crusher is at a farm site, and a
collectible vehicle is there, but collectors are not and as we know, it can
take time to find a buyer, even a bargain prices. If crusher goes away and
buyer does not come, then old hulk remains, and a return visit by crusher
would be expensive.

A program to alert owners of hulks would be good. Work with civy vintage car
clubs.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
cmstevens@telus.net
or (as second choice)
seaforth72@hotmail.com

LOST MESSAGES: Due to technical problems, many messages have been lost by
colin@pacdat.net address. My apologies for any inconveniences this may have
caused. Several hundred messages were lost at various times in the Fall of
2001.
MVPA #954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977) http://www.westerncommand.com
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/colin_stevens'_1944_willys_mb_photos.htm