Re: [MV] HMMWV fuel tank leak and slow leak in tire

From: Gene Pantano (truks@cs.quik.com)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 19:45:23 PST

Yes..difficult..for the un-trained..unknowing and could care less !!
The rims can be changed by anyone with a lug wrench..They come apart pretty
easy..just be darn sure there is no air in it.!! Take it apart...pull the
center out..You may have to drive up on it with another vehicle to break the
bead..or bang on it with a big sledge.. Once you pull the center off..the
outside half first.. You will not a big "O" ring in there..This is the
reason no one will work on them.. They do not carry the rings..and may not
be able to get them !! Before you do anything..get a couple of spare rings..
Fix the leak if you can find it..might be the "O" ring leaking..most do if
improperly assembled. I soak a big rag in alcohol..wipe the devil out of the
ring...clean it real - real good. Do not tug on it..they do stretch..just
wet it good with alcohol and wipe gently until it is clean as a baby's
butt... Then do the same in where it sits in the rims...both halves...get
them clean.. Then put a bunch of that silicone grease used in electrical
work in your hands slide the ring through it..get it good and coated...stick
it in where it goes in the rim ..bolt the 2 halves together...use Palmolive
green liquid soap as a lubricant for the tire to slide back on the rim...air
up..You should be good to go !! The...tell the tire shop guy - you will
train them for $25 an hour..!! Gene