Michigan Car Shows that welcome MVs

From: Rich Weinkauf (rweinkauf@msn.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 05:57:38 PST

Hey fellow Michiganders,

Now that the 1st AOD is defunct in the Detroit area, perhaps all you folks
with MVs in Southeastern Lower Michigan would like to bring your trucks and
motorcycles to some of the local carshows:

Show: Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show
When: Sunday, June 2, 2002
Where: Riverside Park, Ypsilanti, MI
Hours: 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Cost: $12.00 per vehicle exhibited
Admission: $3.00/person, exhibitors admitted free
Judging: None
Trophies: 14 class "favorite car" trophies, plus Mayor's Choice
Deadline: Registration must be received by May 20, 2002
Contact: a2info@annarbor.org, http://www.annarbor.org, 734-482-5200
Eligible: Factory stock, unmodified vehicles in reasonable condition, but
the show particularly encourages the participation of unrestored vehicles.
The Orphan Car Show allows all makes of cars, trucks, and motorcycles that
are no longer produced, and all makes of cars, trucks and motorcycles of
foreign manufacture that are no longer sold in the US.
Info: The show features a "pass-in-review" where participants are
called out in categories and drive their vehicles past the grandstand where
knowledgeable reviewers offer comments and historical information to the
crowd. We MV owners must provide some kind of information when registering
so the reviewers can comment on the vehicles. I have attended this show the
past two years with my M35A2, and have been the only MV in attendance out of
600 vehicles. But, my end of the Truck Section has been very, very popular.
Let's get some more MV participation this year, so I don't have to park next
to the restored milk truck again.

Show: Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum Motor Muster
When: June 15 & 16
Where: Greenfield Village, Dearborn, MI
Hours: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Saturday, 12:00 PM to 5:00 PM Sunday
Cost: Free to exhibitors and crew
Judging: None
Trophies: Popular Choice Awards
Deadline: Registration must be received by May 4, 2002
Contact: cindy@hfmgv.org, http://www.hfmgv.org, 313-982-6100
Eligible: All STOCK vehicles (including motorcycles AND BICYLCES) produced
between 1933 and 1973. Participation of well-maintained "drivers" is
encouraged, not just 100-point restorations. A COLOR photograph, no larger
than 5" x 7" is required with registration form. A limit is placed on the
number of cars of each make and model to ensure variety.
Info: This will be my first year in this event, I understand there is a
parade down Greenfield Village's "Main Street" by participants.
Participation for both days is encouraged.

Show: SEMI Chapter American Truck Historical Society
When: July 20, 2002
Where: Yesterday's Collection, Jackson Rd between Baker and Zeeb, Ann
Arbor, MI
Hours: 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Cost: Free
Judging: None
Trophies: None
Deadline: Register the day of the show, just show up
Contact: Forthcoming
Eligible: Just about any truck, in any state of restoration. Even
undrivables on trailers.
Info: I have participated in this show the past two years with my M35A2
and my Hummer, and it's lots of fun. About 75 trucks showed up last year,
and I even hade a little MV companionship from an M43, a Dodge Weapons
Carrier, and an Oshkosh Tank Transporter (he had to park out on the road,
too big to get into the lot). This show is held in the parking lot of
Yesterday's Collection, a combination 50's soda shop, Auto Museum and Auto
Memorabilia Store. Very low key, no admission, very friendly folks and they
love having the MVs show up with the commercial trucks.

Hope to see more locals this year.

Rich

Rich Weinkauf, N8QLT
Cruise Missile Coordinates: 42d 28.05'N 083d 22.87'W
HummerID 97.5 Fly Yellow Wagon
1970 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 ** MVPA #20486
Load Warrior Website http://www.m35a2.info
M35 Cool Stuff Site http://www.highprofilevehicles.com