Re: [MV] Strength in our diversity

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 12:49:06 PST

Jack,
Right you are too! Because of, not in spite of, the antics, politics, and shameless self promotion here, It's hard to believe this is not a physical place. I envision it like a room, perhaps a meeting room, filled with diverse personalities, all come together in a shaky temporary truce to hear and share the gospel. Such meetings would indeed be boring if not for the more than occasional stick poked in someone's eye, or the almost daily virus warnings and voice mail repeater messages. I most appreciated the long past posting about the tapestry we weave here, and I enjoy being part of it. I did once belong to a WWII only group, but I found it just as unruly, as there were hourly warnings about no M series postings or political discussions. Hell, you may as well have them if, by their very prohibition, you're going to memorialize them by the hour. Besides, I found the outgassing from all that bondo insufferable. :) I'll stay, among the right wing nuts and just plain wing nuts. Just remember folks...the validi
ty of your labels as "right wing" or "left wing"" depends mostly on where you're standing yourself when you say that. There are a few folks in here that make Jane Fonda and Sarah Brady look like the great right wing Christian conspiracy. Imagine where they must be standing! Labels not withstanding, such matters are a vital part of what we feel and think as MV owners, and DO affect the future of our hobby. I have a hard disk full of small text files that I have saved over my years here, each one of them a valuable reference to some obscure technical data about the trucks I love. Much of this stuff would never be found in any TM. In my view, this value more than offsets the frequent discussions which do not contain similar data. I have met many persons from this list in person, and as you might well suspect, they don't stand there and spew constant volumes of MV data. They are people, and as such, they frequently talk about weather, politics, traffic, and other people related subjects. We can practice strict
exorcism here relative to non-MV discussions, and we'll see how boring we can make this list. As your eyes glaze over from neverending strings about this bracket or that footman loop, remember the tapestry. Depersonalize the talk and you also depersonalize the hobby. I'd mourn the fact that my favorite meeting room was transformed into a virtual NAPA catalog.
My 2 cents
Jack