Re: [MV] road service: contact list compilation

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 10:57:30 PST

At 10:46 AM -0800 3/4/02, Mark Copeland wrote:
>Mr. Bloom,
>
>Hereís one bandwagon Iíd love to jump on! I'm willing
>to collect the information and compile it into an
>Excel spreadsheet or Access database. (Heck, I spent
>5 yrs in college trying to learn something about
>computers, might as well put that hard earned
>edjumucashun to good use!)

One thing to keep in mind is that you need the information in a form
that is either -a easily printed out from the web site or -b printed
into a book format (either quarterly or so) and sent out to those
that have contributed either their names or have provided a nominal
fee to cover costs of printing and mailing.

I think the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America help book is a great
example. One friend of mine who passed away a few years ago had a
bike ride back to NJ from the TN/NC border area. Just before he was
to leave, one of us noticed his clutch cable was about to part (3-4
strands left). It was a Sunday and there were going to be Zero places
open with a cable like this. He managed to find a fellow using the
road side help book an hour away that had just the cable he needed.

I do like this idea, but remember if the data is too hard to take
with you, its useless. Printed form is the easiest to carry around...

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -